It's almost that time of the year again to celebrate Halloween and as an adult you may be thinking about how to incorporate the fun of recreational marijuana into your Halloween plans. As the weather begins to cool and pumpkin-flavored treats make their appearance once more, now is the perfect time to begin planning for Halloween! Whether you’re looking to enjoy a big blowout bash or looking for a chill, spooky evening, we’ve compiled a guide to 420 Halloween celebrations including 420 treats and 420 themed party ideas.
Below we explore a few fun cannabis infused treat recipe ideas to make at home from pumpkin gummies to ghost brownies to bring the spooky vibes to life that are sure you wow your stoner friends and family. If you are considering bringing marijuana-infused treats into your Halloween celebrations it’s important to be sure to let your loved ones know about any THC included in their treats and of course, keep them out of reach of children!
First let's jump into some tips on dosing edibles to ensure the appropriate strength of your homemade edibles, along with some simple, useful tips about eating THC edibles.
Edible THC Dosing Guide
For a quick and easy-to-use THC edible dose chart, check out our blog post. It's always suggested starting with a small piece and waiting up to 2 hours before consuming more, this is especially true with inexperienced users. State guidance for a standard dosage of THC varies from 5-10mg per serving, however microdosing of 1-5mg is continuing to gain in popularity as a means of enjoy an edible high without unwanted side effects. Eating too much THC can lead to feeling nauseous, sleepy, confused, and even cause anxiety. If you do not feel the effects as quickly as you want, give it some time before consuming more to avoid an uncomfortable reaction.
A Guide to THC Dosing with Homemade Edibles
Below is a helpful guide to calculate an edibles THC content based on the strength of the marijuana used. For those who want to plug their numbers in using an online tool, check out this cannabutter dose calculator here.
- Find the THC percentage of the strain of weed you intend to use.
- Low-end weed: 5 - 15%
- High-end weed: 15 - 30%
- For this example, let’s say the THC percentage of weed is 10%. 10% THCA x 10 is equivalent to 100 mg/g. The ratio of THCA to THC is 0.877. To calculate the THC, take your 100 mg THCA and convert it to THC. In this case, it would be 87.7 mg THC/g. This amount is roughly close to 100 so if it is easier, feel free to just use 100 mg THC/g to help with the math.
- Knowing this, you can now figure out the amount of mg of THC per serving. For example, if you have an eighth of weed (3.5 g), your total mg per batch would be 350 mg because of our previously discovered 100 mg/g percentage conversion. If you are making a dozen cookies, this would come out to about 29.2 mg per serving.
Pumpkin Gummies with Cannabis Oil
One of the easiest ways to make some spooky Halloween THC treats is by making gummies. For an added Halloween effect, use some small pumpkin-shaped molds that can be found on Amazon or eBay and use orange-flavored gelatin for a seasonal pop.
Here are the necessary ingredients and supplies:
- ½ cup of decarboxylated cannabis-infused coconut oil
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 box of flavored powdered gelatin
- ½ teaspoon of Liquid Sunflower Lecithin (optional)
- Citric Acid (optional)
- Combine ½ cup of water, ½ cup of infused cannabis coconut oil, and ½ teaspoon of liquid sunflower lecithin in a saucepan over low heat. Lecithin works as an emulsifier and can increase potency but is entirely optional for this recipe.
- Whisk to combine. Make sure to keep an eye on this part of the process to ensure that all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Add 1 box of flavored gelatin and 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin. For an added Halloween theme, use orange or black cherry Jello!
- Whisk until all dry ingredients are dissolved.
- Quickly put the mixture in the mold to ensure it does not harden. To get rid of air bubbles, gently tap the mold on a flat surface and the air bubbles should rise to the surface and pop.
- Optional: sprinkle citric acid on the gummies for a sour pop!
- Allow THC gummies to harden in the fridge or freezer.
- Remove the gummies from the mold and put them in the container of your choice. For best storage, keep them in the refrigerator until your special event!
Pumpkin Gummies with Distillate Oil
For those who want to make gummies without using or making coconut oil or butter, distillate works amazingly in gummies as well!
- 1 ml syringe THC distillate purchased at a dispensary
- 1 Tablespoon of unflavored gelatin
- 1 box of flavored powdered gelatin
- ½ teaspoon of cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon sunflower oil lecithin
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons of water
- Combine water and lecithin in a saucepan.
- Whisk water and lecithin together to combine and dissolve.
- Add unflavored gelatin and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Have your mixture sit at room temperature for about 8 minutes.
- Add in your distillate concentrate.
- Place your mixture on the stove on low heat to melt. Be sure it does not boil and whisk every few minutes to ensure it is fully combined.
- Add cornstarch and whisk together until there are no more clumps.
- Add flavored gelatin of choice and whisk to combine.
- Add your THC concentrate and whisk again.
- Once all ingredients are combined, place the mixture into your mold. Some molds will come with a dropper but a small spoon works fine as well.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until solid.
- Remove gummies from the mold and enjoy! For easy storage, place in a container in the fridge until ready to eat.
Before you can make brownies, you need to make cannabutter. Here are the instructions.
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of water
Cannabis Infused Butter Step-By-Step Instructions
- Decarboxylate cannabis by preheating an oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place unground marijuana on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, gently shifting and mixing every 10 minutes to ensure they are evenly baked.
- Grind buds.
- Add butter to water with a 1:1 ratio to a saucepan. If there is 1 cup of butter, be sure to put 1 cup of water.
- Melt the water and butter mixture over low heat.
- Add the ground-up weed and mix gently.
- Take a cooking thermometer and place it in the saucepan. Be sure to keep an eye on the butter and ensure it stays between 160 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit during the duration of cooking.
- Cook the butter for 2 to 4 hours while regularly checking the temperature.
- Using the cheesecloth, drain the mixture over a bowl or jar. Gently ring out the remaining liquid until the weed is mostly dry.
- Place the clear liquid in a pan or mold to solidify. Cover with saran wrap and leave in a refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Once solidified, some water may have separated from the butter. Simply drain the water over a sink.
Ghost THC Brownies
Everyone loves a good pot brownie, especially when dosed properly using our guide above. These THC brownies are a classic take on an infused brownie with a festive flair added using a ghost shaped cookie cutter. You can even add some icing for an added pop. The recipe makes 16 delicious brownies!
Weed Brownie Ingredients:
- 10 tablespoons of cannabutter from the previous recipe
- 1 ¼ cup of white sugar
- 2 large, cold eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, use slightly less if using fine sea or table salt
- ⅔ cup of chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Ghost Cookie cutter
Edible Brownie Instructions:
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. To ensure the butter does not burn, heat the butter in 15-second intervals.
- Add 1 ¼ cup of white sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the butter.
- Sift ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and ½ cup of all-purpose flour to the wet ingredients.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt then stir to combine all the ingredients. Do not overmix.
- For added flavor, add chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Add to a greased baking pan of choice.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until the brownies are baked through.
- If using a ghost cookie cutter, let the brownies cool and cut the necessary shapes.
- To decorate, use white and black frosting or sprinkles. Enjoy!
THC Dosage Amount:
The dosage amount is dependent on the percentage of THC on the cannabutter. For example, if the THC percentage of the cannabis used to make the butter is 10%, that would be equivalent to 350 mg/g based on our past conversion. Divided by 16 based on the above recipe would leave each serving with 21.9 mg of THC. This would be a mid-tier edible. For those looking for a less impactful effect, cutting the brownie in half would be roughly equivalent to 10.95 mg per serving.
Halloween is enjoyed by children and adults alike. Whether at a party or event with both age groups, or simply enjoying these tasty treats at home, be sure to keep these out of reach of children. It is very easy for children to not know about special ingredients that may be in baked goods so be sure to keep them hidden or locked away and out of reach to ensure their safety. Be sure to loop in the other adults to make sure they are aware of any edibles that may be around so those who do not wish to consume any THC products can keep an eye out as well.
Find Halloween Themed Cannabis Edibles In Dispensaries
This year, many edibles are embracing the Halloween holiday with their seasonal edible options. That includes us at District Edibles, we are launching our Blood Moon Orange THC gummies for a limited time, they can be found Colorado, Oregon, Washington and New Mexico through November!
For those who want to celebrate with some edible treats but do not want to go through the hassle of making it themselves, look no further than District Edibles. Our edibles contain a fully activated, refined cannabis oil that ensures a full absorption of active cannabinoids without the cannabis taste. Each edible is made in a dedicated, hands-free sanitary facility in small batches to ensure consistency and quality every time. Our high-quality ingredients include cane sugar and confectionery gelatin, for a true gummy candy texture reminiscent of childhood. We also offer a wide range of additional gummy flavors to ensure there’s a flavor for everyone to enjoy over Halloween weekend. Whether celebrating with a large party or staying in and enjoying Halloween movies, be sure to make and enjoy any cannabis products responsibly during this spooky holiday!
Stoner Themed Costume Party
It's always fun to dress like your favorite stoner or even cannabis strain. It can be fun throwing a stoner theme Halloween party, and the best costume wins a Halloween edible prize! Or a pack of our District Edible THC gummies! From the blunt man, to towlie to Cheech and Chong there’s sure to be a lot of laughs on how people get creative with their high-deas!
Similar to beer pong, but you take a puff of cannabis or concentrate instead each time an opponent makes a shot into a plastic cup. You will need 9 plastic cups and ping (b)ong balls! The first person or team to make all the balls wins. Each person gets 2 throws per round. Cups need to be placed in a triangle shape similar to a rack of a pool.
However, you decide to enjoy your Halloween, we hope you enjoy it responsibly and get a taste of the Blood Moon…